Anti-Money Laundering (AML) software
Due to the increased pressure being heaped on them by anti-terrorism laws, banks will be spending billions of dollars over the next few years on aml software to counter money laundering. This anti-money laundering software not only automatically tracks suspicious financial transactions, but it will monitor millions of innocent ones as well.
Because of the stringent requirements of the USA PATRIOT Act, (enacted after 9/11) with the intention of choking the supply of terror funds, and the threat of heavy fines and possible imprisonment of bank directors if their organizations assist in money laundering, U.S. financial institutions are very enthusiastic about having anti-money-laundering software or AML software installed.
According to Neil Katkov, an analyst with Celent Communications, between 2005 and 2008 banks in the U.S. are forecast to spend close to $14 billion on AML software, hardware, maintenance and other compliance-related activities.
Around this same period, both Europe and Asia are expected to spend over $11 billion on anti-money laundering software.
According to Celent, by 2006, 94 percent of large financial institutions in the United States will have installed AML technologies.
Already, the U.S. is the world leader of anti-laundering software. And the number of transactions being reported to government agencies, such as the Financial Crimes Enforcement Network (FinCEN), is growing fast. In 2004, U.S. banks reported over 14 million transactions to FinCEN using AML software, which is 600,000 more than reported in 2003.
"Anti-Money Laundering software will change international banking forever," said Suheim Sheikh of SDG Software, an Indian AML software firm hoping to tap into the big new market.
"Governments across the world will have their eyes on bank customers," he added. "Since the anti-money laundering software can monitor so many accounts, so many transactions, all kinds of people will be scrutinized, even those who in theory are just regular people. By default, not just money laundering but anything that violates the law, like tax evasion, will be hard to hide."
As a consequence of AML software surveillance, bank officials have said that even citizens with no criminal intent or underworld ties will have to become more law abiding. Even small breaches of the law, or just indifference, will no longer go unnoticed.
A bank official, who asked to remain anonymous, said "Chances are that most of the time the anti-money laundering software will catch not a money launderer, who is always wary, but a regular person. If you got a fat birthday gift from your brother who works in the Middle East, would you like to get calls from the bank or the government asking for an explanation? In theory, that can happen."
Even small transactions seen by AML software may be flagged as suspicious. Based upon the withdrawals and deposits of 9/11 terrorists, funds for terrorists are known to be small. Being small does not mean being invisible.
"Any unexplained deposit will get you calls from the bank or the authorities, and you better have the correct answers," said Cherian Varghese, chairman of Union Bank of India.
When installed at a large bank having several branches across the world, a comprehensive anti-money laundering software system will monitor millions of transactions daily.
Here is how a typical anti-laundering system works: First, it pulls in customer data; it then classifies each into varying levels of suspicion, from high risk to low; it builds patterns of customer behavior; and then searches for anomalies within those patterns, such as sudden surges in funds or huge withdrawals.
The AML software will also keep a lookout for blacklisted names, or "specially designated nationals," and takes note of transactions from countries that are perceived to be hostile to the host nation.
The anti-money laundering software will report both suspect transactions and customers to bank officials, who then forward the information to the appropriate government agency, such as the FinCEN.
"Good AML software is a very complex tool," said Hanuman Tripathi, managing director of InfraSoftTech, another Indian software vendor that is eyeing the AML market. "Its job is not to churn out data. Instead, it makes intelligent use of data."
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- ASSET PROTECTION AML SOFTWARE
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.