A recently published study from a mid-western university came to the conclusion that living wills will fail to accomplish their objectives and, in fact, usually make matters worse. According to the study, in documents where patients try to set forth their desires for medical treatment in the event of their disability fail to achieve their intended purpose. In a press release by the university which conducted the study, it was recommended that patients use a health care power of attorney authorizing a relative or loved one to make decisions for them.
A well known attorney in the pacific northwest generally agrees with the study, and stated: "I find that, in practice, either instructions from a Health Care Power of Attorney, or instructions from the immediate family are grounds which the doctor/hospital/nursing home will carry out such wishes, and that the document itself is never relied upon to make life and death decisions.
A doctor with a practice in a southern state took issue with some of the study. "To say that Living Wills fail because most people donít have them isnít even logical. Thatís like saying Bypass Surgery is useless because most people donít have Bypass Surgery. Itís about what happens with the people who DO have it that counts! Likewise for the 4th point, to say that "Living Wills fail" because people donít do WHAT THEYíRE SUPPOSED TO DO with them isnít the fault of the document. Living Wills can work fine, just make sure you CARRY IT WITH YOU, or make it ACCESSIBLE when needed."
The legal issues and procedures are highly dependent on state law, practitioners agree. According to a MASSACHUSETTS LAWYER "Living Wills have no legal validity in MA, only Health Care Proxies (Powers of Attorney) must be followed. We do living wills only as a guideline to the Health Care Agent if the client wants one." A similar rule applies in New York, according to another MESSAGE.
A CA attorney thinks the Hastings Center study may include some over- generalizations. Problems that result when the document is not available when needed apply equally to health care powers of attorneys, she point out. She writes, "I generally discourage the absolute statements (declining specific types of health care) except when a client feels very strongly or has a short life expectancy..." She has found health care directives useful on several occasions: "I have used the statements regarding care (living will info) to get a conservator to take action following the clientís wishes; to resolve disputes about medical decisions between family members and to nudge recalcitrant agents into action. I donít believe any of those clients would have said that living wills donít work."
An OK lawyer thinks, "Health Care Powers of Attorney are great when used in conjunction with Living Wills, but not in lieu thereof."
A CA attorney recounts a personal experience with his fatherís advance directive. He writes: "it is my opinion that, more important than the Advanced Health Care Directive itself, is the discussion of oneís wishes with family so family doesnít have to second guess." Another doctor agrees.
Commencing with a related discussion, a MA attorney asks about the use of a "Five Wishesí form, which is completed by the client to express wishes regarding health care. A MI doctor sometimes refers to the Five Wishes form in a health care power of attorney. A VA lawyer has used it in a similar way. "Itís an excellent document", writes an AL lawyer.
A MT attorney, however, sees the Five Wishes document as "yet another fad...the 5 wishes philosophy is OK in concept, but not practical, in my opinion.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- ASSET PROTECTION LIVING WILLS
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.