Eileen J. O’Connor, Assistant Attorney General for the Tax Division, United States Department of Justice; Gregory A. White, United States Attorney for the Northern District of Ohio; and Nancy Jardini, Chief, IRS Criminal Investigation, announced recently that at the federal courthouse in Akron, Ohio, U.S. District Judge John R. Adams sentenced Gary Harris to 151 months imprisonment, to be followed by 3 years supervised release and fine of $95,000. Harris and two Co-conspirators were convicted of using sham trusts and false corporations in order to hide profits from IRS.
The trial lasting over a month, the jury found defendants Harris, Michael Kotula and Tamara Schwentker-Harris guilty of conspiring to defraud the United States (18 U.S.C. § 371). Additionally, the jury convicted both. Harris and Kotula on 3 counts and 1 count of income tax evasion (26 U.S.C. §7201), respectively. Judge Adams sentenced co-defendant Michael Kotula to 70 months imprisonment followed by three years supervised release, a $100,000 fine, payment for the costs of prosecution, and $82,806.83 in restitution to the Internal Revenue Service. Judge Adams also sentenced Tamara Schwentker-Harris to 15 months imprisonment, two years supervised release, and payment of $17,054 as restitution to the Internal Revenue Service.
"Those who attempt hiding income from the IRS by moving it into bogus trusts or by using other fraudulent schemes need to know they risk criminal prosecution," the Assistant Attorney said.
"The long prison sentences imposed in this case are the result of the IRS and the Department of Justice working aggressively to investigate and prosecute tax fraud." "The IRS aggressively investigates those who use abusive trust arrangements to hide the true ownership of assets and income. It is a matter of maintaining public confidence in the fairness of the tax laws," stated the Chief, IRS Criminal Investigation. "If individuals choose to participate in abusive trust schemes, they will be held accountable and sentenced to prison."
During the trial, the evidence proved the defendants used a maze of trusts and corporations to try to hide $18 million in income generated by various businesses they controlled, including historic Conneaut Lake Park in Crawford County, Pennsylvania. Between January 1994, and July 2003, they paid little or no taxes on the income earned. Nonetheless, Harris lived lavishly and acquired, among other things, several homes, a jetway for his ranch in Conneaut, and an antique Mercedes sports car which Harris claimed was worth $250,000.
Mr. Harris had previously been convicted of tax evasion for tax years 1987, 1989, and 1990. In addition, between the years 1998 and 2002, while he was in federal prison after convictions for racketeering and income tax evasion, his co-conspirators Kotula and Schwentker-Harris kept Mr. Harris’s businesses running and continued to operate this illegal conspiracy.
Assistant Attorney General O’Connor and United States Attorney White thanked the prosecutor's of this case, Tax Division Trial Attorney Robert J. Livermore and Antitrust Division Trial Attorney Brian Stack. They also thanked the special agents of the IRS, whose assistance was essential to the successful investigation and prosecution of the case.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- ASSET PROTECTION TAX FRAUD
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.