IRS cracks down on tax shelters
The IRS announced that it collected more than $3.2 billion from wealthy people in its most ambitious effort ever to crack down on improper tax shelters.
In a news conference held last Thursday, IRS Commissioner Mark Everson said that there had been "some real pain" among over 1100 taxpayers who participated in the "Son of Boss" tax shelter settlement. Everson also added that "Some people have had to sell their villas and yachts" in order to come up with the money.
Everson further stated that there were close to 400 people who declined to participate, while another 200 involved failed to qualify for the settlement plan. The IRS should gather around $3.5 billion before the project ends in the coming months, he said.
The scheme, known as "Son of Boss, is spinoff of an older shelter called "Boss." "Son of Boss" is a very complex, no-risk strategy in which promoters, such as accounting firms and investment banks, sold financial products generating losses to offset large gains, often from selling a business or exercising stock options.
Commissioner Everson said more than 90 percent of those participating in the shelter were wealthy individuals, business owners and corporations.
Everson also said that this project dwarfs previous efforts in pursuing tax evaders. A program initiated to crack down on improper use of offshore credit cards netted nearly $270 million, equivalent to the amount paid by just three individuals in the "Son of Boss" initiative. One person has paid back nearly $100 million and the average was nearly $1 million.
"This was not a bargain-basement deal," said Everson. Under the terms of the program, people were required to pay back 100 percent of the claimed tax losses, and also pay either a 10 percent or 20 percent penalty.
Those declining to participate in the initiative and choose instead to litigate their case are faced with assessment of the maximum penalty of 40 percent. Everson added that those who go to court will have their names publicized, while those participating in the settlement will not be named by the IRS.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- ASSET PROTECTION TAX SHELTER CRACK DOWN
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.