Judge rules against IRS
The IRS suffered a legal setback in its effort in attempting to prove that the accounting firm of BDO Seidman sold and marketed questionable tax shelters in recent years.
In a ruling made last week, Judge James F. Holderman, of the Federal District Court for the Northern District of Illinois, said that BDO Seidman did not have to turn over to the IRS over 200 documents that detailed work for specific clients on questionable tax shelters. Judge Holderman wrote that the IRS had failed to prove that the accounting firm had engaged in widespread illegal practices in its work on the type of tax shelter in question.
Judge Holderman sided with BDO Seidman, which argued that the documents were protected by confidentiality governing the secrecy of communications between a firm and its clients, including attorney-client privilege, work product privilege and tax practitioner privilege. A law enacted 1998 on privilege gives accountants the same protection as lawyers. The confidentiality privileges, however, are waived in situations in which a crime or fraud is involved.
Judge Holderman made an exception in his ruling for one document, an e-mail message that he said could fall under the rule excepting crime or fraud situations.
The tax shelter in the case is called a Cobra, which stands for Currency Options Bring Reward Alternatives. The IRS never considered the Cobra shelter valid for deductions, and formally banned it in 2000.
Over twenty individuals who had invested in the shelter had filed a petition seeking to prevent BDO Seidman from turning over the documents. The identities of these individuals are already known to the IRS.
In its war on questionable tax shelters, the IRS has been attempting to obtain the documents in order to prove that BDO Seidman worked with accounting, financial and law firms in order to engage in the widespread sales and marketing of abusive and questionable shelters.
the Judge's ruling mirrors a similar one he made last July that upheld confidentiality protection for more than 100 BDO Seidman documents the IRS was seeking.
However, Judge Holderman's ruling contrasts with recent rulings by other judges, including Judge Shira A. Scheindlin of Federal District Court in New York, on similar cases involving BDO Seidman and other firms
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- ASSET PROTECTION TAX SHELTERS 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.