IRS and Treasury Department issue new rules regarding tax shelters
The Treasury Department and the IRS, in further continuing their war on tax shelters, are soon to announce revised ethical standards for tax advisers, lawyers and accountants.
The intention for these new standards is to discourage people from designing and selling shelters whose function are to avoid paying taxes. Officials of the IRS will be focusing on tax professionals because it's from them that individual and business taxpayers (and the wealthy), hear shelters in the first place.
The new rules take aim at "opinion letters", a tool widely used in selling complex tax shelters. These letters, which are drafted by lawyers and accountants, are used in assuring investors that a transaction is legitimate. A number of investors make the wrong assumption that an opinion letter will protect them against financial penalties should the IRS decide to go after a tax shelter. The theory is that, should a shelter be ruled as invalid, the investor may argue that he acted in good faith because the transaction had been approved by a professional.
A numbe of Lawyers are saying that a great many opinion letters are worthless because of their ambiguities and because they fail to address every detail of the transaction involved. Well known tax advisers have been urging people to obtain independent evaluations from qualified tax experts having no financial stake in the transaction. A carefully crafted legal opinion from a reputable tax adviser can be useful in protecting investors from IRS penalties. These new rules are aimed at clarifying which kinds of opinion letters work and which don't.
A spokesperson with a well-known investment firm has stated: "The Treasury has been concerned that some practitioners may be providing opinions based on unrealistic factual assumptions or without considering important legal doctrines, and taxpayers might be misled into thinking that such opinions protect them against the assertion of IRS penalties."
Know officially known as "Circular 230," these revised standards include exact requirements for tax opinions issued by attorneys and accountants. In addition, it's expected they will require tax advisers to warn their clients explicitly what protections a tax opinion offers. The date of this document's release is not known.
These new standards arrive just as the IRS is gaining broader powers in combatting abusive tax shelters. A new law enacted earlier this year gives the IRS stronger weapons to use against tax-shelter designers and promoters who now possibly are facing monetary penalties. And if that individual is acting for an employer, the Treasury can impose a monetary penalty on the employer or others if they "knew, or reasonably should have known, of the conduct." These penalties can be on top or in place of suspension, disbarment or censure.
The revisions are also expected to include significant modifications to the version of Circular 230 proposed a year ago for public comment. Some tax professionals complained those standards were too broad in certain areas.
The government has gone to court to challenge shelters, but has had mixed results. Last year, it won a federal district court case that involved a hedge fund. However, recently, it lost a few shelter-related cases, thus sparking speculation that in the coming New Year Congress may step in with new legislation designed to provide broad anti-abuse rules.
If you would like more information regarding asset protection, trusts, family limited partnerships or the subject of this article please call or email our office.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- ASSET PROTECTION TAX SHELTERS
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.