How A Community Spouse Used A Medicaid Compliant Annuity To Shelter Assets and Qualify Her Husband For Full Medicaid Benefits
Mr. and Mrs. Smith are respectively 84 years of age. On January 1, 2009, Mr. Smith entered a nursing home, wherein he is receiving custodial nursing home care. The Smiths have the following:
-Home valued at $250,000
-Standard household furnishings & personal property
-$250,000 in a savings account
-$10,000 life insurance policies on each
The Smith’s are entitled to retain the following:
-Mrs. Smith is entitled to the community spouse resource allowed of $109,560
-Mr. Smith is entitled to retain an individual resource allowance of $2,000.00 leaving a net spend down of $138,440.
Challenges and Goals
-No Long Term Care Insurance
-Mr. Smith’s current nursing homes expense is $5,500 per month without a Medicaid Plan
-The Smith’s spend down amount is $138,440 which will be exhausted in approximately 25 months
-Home not asset protected from creditors or liens
-Life insurance cash value exposed to spend down
Mrs. Smith’s Goals:
-Asset protect $138,440 from the spend down rule
-Purchase Medicaid Compliant Annuity with an 85 month payout
-Asset protect home
-Protect cash value of life insurance for funeral and burial expenses
-Purchase Medicaid Compliant Annuity using the $138,440
-Title home in Mrs. Smith name only so that she retains the right to stay in home without it being subject to spend down
-Asset protect home from Medicaid Recovery using a reverse mortgage. Place loan proceeds inside an irrevocable trust controlled by Mrs. Smith.
-1035 exchange current life insurance policies to a funeral trust funded by a pre-paid final expense policy.
On January 6, 2009, Mrs. Smith purchased a $138,440.00 Medicaid Compliant Annuity with the following guaranteed monthly payments:
Months 1 - 85: $ 1,785.88
Total Payout: $ 151,799.80
With Mrs. Smith having a 7.09 year/85.08 month Medicaid life expectancy, and with her Medicaid Compliant Annuity returning more than $138,440.00 to her within her Medicaid life expectancy, the Medicaid Compliant Annuity is deemed "actuarially sound," and is a viable Medicaid planning tool.
On the assumption that Mrs. Smith has $1,100.00 of monthly social security income and with the monthly payment from her Medicaid Compliant Annuity taken into consideration, her total monthly income equals $2,885.88.
With her total monthly income exceeding her maximum monthly maintenance needs allowance of $2,739.00, Mrs. Smith is not allowed to receive any monthly income from Mr. Smith.
On the assumption that Mr. Smith has $1,500.00 of monthly social security income, his Medicaid monthly co-pay to the nursing home equals $1,465.00. This amount was determined by reducing Mr. Smith's monthly income by his $35.00 monthly personal needs allowance.
In a community spouse case, where the community spouse purchases a Medicaid Compliant Annuity in order to eliminate the spend-down amount, the concern following the Tax Relief and Health Care Act of 2006 is that upon the death of the community spouse any residual benefits remaining in the Medicaid Compliant Annuity will revert to the state Medicaid program.
Likewise, in the aforementioned example, if Mrs. Smith does not survive the 85-month term of her Medicaid Compliant Annuity, the State Medicaid program would be entitled to collect the residual benefits remaining in her Medicaid Compliant Annuity, to extent that medical assistance benefits were provided to the annuitant.
Mrs. Smith did secure a reverse mortgage where she was able to receive 78% ($195,000) of her homes value in a lump sum payment at closing.
She funded the newly established irrevocable trust with the proceeds from the reverse mortgage.
The Smith’s 1035 exchanged their current paid-up $10,000 whole life insurance policy into an irrevocable funeral trust, free from being counted as a resource for spend down.
The trust funds are paid directly to the funeral home at the time of death and any remaining balance paid to the heirs.
The total amount sheltered from spend down by establishing a proper asset protection plan was $353,440.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- CASE STUDY COMMUNITY SPOUSE
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.