Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust - ILIT
Life insurance is becoming a frequently used tool in estate planning. However, the effects of using life insurance as an estate planning tool (irrevocable life insurance trust or ILIT) really aren’t that simplistic. There are now dozens of advantages and disadvantages to using life insurance, depending on who owns the policy. Most of people are aware of the fact that if anyone owns a life insurance policy of which they are the insured, the death benefits payable upon their death are includible in their estate for estate tax purposes. Whether the death value will be taxed is dependent on whom has been named as the beneficiary of that policy. If someone has named their spouse as the beneficiary, the unlimited marital deduction prevents the proceeds from being taxed at their death. But, if those proceeds remain in the estate of the spouse, they will be included in the spouse’s estate upon death. The key to taxing life insurance proceeds revolves around ownership of the policy. The irrevocable life insurance trust is a technique that is used to address the issue of ownership.
An irrevocable life insurance trust is just that, irrevocable. When an individual creates such a trust, then the terms of the trust contract cannot be changed. As such, the individual relinquishes all control and capability of management over any assets owned by such a trust. Therefore, the IRS recognizes the fact that under such a scenario, the assets that are included in this type of trust cannot be included in the estate of the individual for estate tax purposes.
When an individual creates an irrevocable life insurance trust to hold the ownership of a life insurance policy, the policy proceeds are removed from the gross estates of both the insured and his/her spouse for estate tax purposes, assuming there is no direct policy transfer by the insured or the insured outlives any such transfer by three years. The insured’s spouse can have an interest in the trust after the insured’s death, as long as the policy is not a survivorship policy and he/she is not given an estate tax sensitive power or interest in the trust. For decedents who have passed on since 1981, this is the only way to do more than defer the tax and give the spouse any benefit from the proceeds.
The advantages of naming an irrevocable life insurance trust as the beneficiary are as follows:
Flexibility Protection of the beneficiaries against creditors’ and spouses’ claims Investment management of the process
Avoidance of the generation-skipping transfer tax altogether, if the trust can be arranged to be effectively exempt from the tax by application of the insured’s GST exemption (and that of the spouse) or by relying on the non-taxable gift exception to the GST.
The proceeds can be made available to the executor to pay costs and taxes of the insured’s estate by a loan, purchasing of assets or direct payment. Each of these techniques has possible disadvantages; perhaps, the purchase of assets concept makes the most sense; assuming a stepped-up basis for the assets at death.
Another advantage is that an irrevocable life insurance trust solves the problem if primary beneficiary dies before the insured. It also avoids problems of the possible incompetence of the policy owner, the potential frustration of the insured’s plan by the owner during the insured’s life; and the problems of multiple or potentially legally incompetent owners.
Under state law, to name a trust as the policy owner provides creditor protection for the policy during the insured’s life. It also provides creditor and spousal protection for the beneficiaries.
The policy, although beyond the insured’s direct control, is in the hands of the trustee chosen by the insured to carry out the terms of an irrevocable life insurance trust created by the insured. Therefore, this is a fairly comfortable arrangement for most insured’s once the decision has been made to give up policy ownership.
ASSET PROTECTION INFORMATION
- Asset Protection Terrorist Lists
- FAQs Probate
- Asset Protection Incorporate Offshore
- Asset Protection Tax Scams
- Asset Protection Offshore Insurance Fraud
- Asset Protection Title Scam
- Limited Partnerships
- Being A Limited Partner
- Asset Protection Admin Subpoenas
- Self Settled Asset Protection Trusts
- Wyly Case
- Asset Protection Living Wills
- Asset Protection Banking Information
- Family Limited Partnerships For Estate Planning
- Asset Protection Non Tax Estate Planning
- Home Protection
- Sweden Capitalism Or Socialism
- Asset Protection Tax Shelter Crack Down
- Asset Protection Information
- Asset Protection Congress
- IRREVOCABLE LIFE INSURANCE TRUST
- Asset Protection Facts
- C Corporations
- Preventing Lawsuits
- Case Study Community Spouse
- Asset Protection Trouble In Belize
- Inheritance Trusts
- Asset Protection Tax Scam Warning
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporations
- Asset Protection Llawsuits Cost Jobs
- Asset Protection Swiss Annuities
- Asset Protection Antigua And Barbuda
- Asset Protection Living Trust Scams
- Asset Protection Money Laundering Case
- Asset Protection LLCs
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters 3
- Asset Protection Strategy
- Debt Consolidation
- Asset Protection Trust Services
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud Conviction
- OVERVIEW Seminar
- Asset Protection John Galt
- LLCs And S Corps
- Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Nevada Corporation
- Family Limited Partnerships
- Asset Protection Ponzi Schemes
- Asset Protection Business Risks
- Fraudulent Conveyance
- Asset Sign Up
- Asset Protection Courses
- Asset Protection Who Needs LLC
- Wyly Offshore Operations
- Banking Records
- Comparing Mutual Funds To Cash Value Life Insurance
- Anderson Case
- Wills Versus Trusts
- Asset Protection Tort Reform
- Asset Protection Uk Offshore Bank Probe
- Asset Protection Revocable Trusts And Probate
- Asset Protection Tax Shelters
- Asset Protection Tax Fraud
- Nevis LLC
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Anderson Case Expert Comments
- Asset Protection Lllc Disolution
- Asset Protection Tax Evader
- Asset Protection Aegis Fund Value
- Asset Protection Annual Stella Awards
- Characteristics Of Effective Asset Protection
- Hiding Assets
- Asset Protection Aml Software
- Panamanian Foundations
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Uk Haven Crack Down
- LLC Operating Agreements
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.