Caribbean Tax Havens under fire
There are more than 20 offshore tax havens in the Caribbean and Central America, and commentators argue that their day in the sun is almost over.
The list of adverse factors is daunting. First of all, the gradual reduction in tariff barriers worldwide has undermined the Caribbean islands' reliance on subsidized exports of sugar and bananas. Then, the fierce attacks by the USA, the FATF and other bodies on money laundering and terrorist financing have forced the IOFCs to eschew many of their traditional clientele. The OECD is pressurizing many OIFCs to harmonize their offshore and offshore regimes and, to cap it all, a many of them are dependent territories of the UK and have been forced to adopt the odious EU Savings Tax Directive.
It's this last problem that may be disastrous in the short term as investors shy away from the EU's spotlight. Not coincidentally, the British Virgin Islands have seen a 20% drop in revenue in IBC registrations last year. With such a wide choice of OIFCs available world-wide, the uncomfortable demonstration that Britain's dependencies had no choice but to knuckle under to the FCO hardly helped them.
A recent report pointed out that all 14 of the independent countries in the Caribbean Community (CARICOM) are among the 30 most heavily indebted emerging-economy governments, with seven of them in the top ten. An official with the IMF's Western Hemisphere Department, suggested recently that a continuation of current policies endangers the Caribbean's macroeconomic stability. The IMF says that the Caribbean economies have managed an average growth rate of barely 2.5% in the last 25 years.
However, the "gloom and doom" may be overdone. The BVI has still managed to grow last year, helped by tourism, increased business in financial services and substantial asset flows from booming China. Other jurisdictions in the region have been reporting increased business, and most are aware that they have to change their fiscal models for the reason that regional integration is undermining tariff revenues which underpin budgets. Ratings agencies have had hard words for Belize and Barbados but complimented the Cayman Islands. And the IMF has been favorable in its regional assessments. The dark cloud of the Savings Tax Directive may not persist - in reality, it is easy to escape the Savings Tax in a number of perfectly legal ways and, once the dust has settled, the convenience of the Caribbean for US and Europe investors may outweigh their concerns.
OFFSHORE ASSET PROTECTION
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Italy
- Offshore Cayman Islands
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Ecuador
- Asset Protection Nsa Spying
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries France
- Offshore Pensions And Taxes
- IRS Abusive Trusts
- Panama Region
- Tax Avoidance Vehicles
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Honduras
- Asset Protection Guernsey Taxes
- Asset Protection Panama Foundations
- Asset Protection Identity Theft
- Offshore And Alternative Investments
- Offhshore Banking Privacy
- Asset Protection Privacy
- Irrevocable Life Insurance Trust
- Bahamas Information
- Asset Protection Expatriation
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Panama1
- Asset Protection Taxing Expats
- Asset Protection Taxing Foreign Stock
- Asset Protection Flat Tax For Puerto Rico
- Asset Protection Location Of Your Company
- ASSET PROTECTION CARIBBEAN TAX HAVENS
- Asset Protection Renunciation
- Asset Protection Offshore Definition
- Asset Protection Panama
- Family Limited Partnerships Tax
- Boats Asset Protection
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Ireland
- Taxation Foreign Corporations
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Mexico
- Asset Protection Offshore Liechtenstein
- Private Annuity Ruling Irs
- Asset Protection Hong Kong
- Assetprotection Trusts
- Asset Protection Faq
- Intentionally Defective Grantor Trust
- Panama Canal Zone
- Asset Protection Laundering
- Going Offshore
- Offshore Asset Protection
- Dynasty Trust The Basics
- Offshore Asset Protection Planning
- Secret Bank Accounts
- Asset Protection Police
- Asset Protection Guernsey
- Asset Protection Second Passport
- Asset Protection Tax Summaries Nicaragua
- Asset Protection Scam Trusts
- Nevis Offshore Financial Center
- Asset Protection Using Offshore Trusts
- Probate And Revocable Trusts
- Asset Protection Lawsuit Prevention
- Poetic Injustice In The Pearl River Delta
- Offshore Financial Centers Ireland
- Panama Comfort Zone
- Isle Of Man No Tax Zone
- TrustMakers Forms Center
- TrustMakers Site Map
Learn more about protecting your assets with these articles:
If you are looking for the most important concepts in Asset Protection, this is where to start! If you need to talk intelligently about protecting your net worth or you are a professional this online training program is for you!
Get our Free Online Asset Protection Video Course.
Learn how to protect yourself like the pros!
Clear, concise and straight forward, this e-Book will help you make sound decisions with your business and personal assets..
This e-course will give you straight forward asset protection advice you can implement now. One of the best asset protection courses available! Includes 70+ video lessons, 3 Ebooks, and 6 example legal documents!
The key to a solid Asset Protection Plan is the Estate Plan. This downloadable estate organizer will help you keep track of important information about your assets and important legal documents all in one place.